Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fishing, knitting and book reviews

We (my oldest DD) and I just got home a little while ago from spending the afternoon swimming and fishing with my good friend, Nancy. We always have such a good time together!

First we went over to Nanc's house (out in the country) and she fixed us lunch (two different zucchini casseroles...yummy!) and we ate outside - the weather is beautiful today! Then we got the 'grand' tour of her vegetable garden, and best of all, some of the garden fresh veggies, and some apples off of one of her trees.

Then we left to go to a small lake nearby that we like to go swimming at. The water was cold, but 'refreshing'. (that's a nice way of saying it gave us goosebumps!) Needless to say, we did not swim too long!

After that, we left to go to a different lake (up here in the
'Nort-woods' remember, we have a LOT of lakes to choose from!!!!) to go fishing.

We usually don't come home with any keepers (but we don't care...hmm...some fisher'men' we are, huh?), because we fish from the shore, and its a shallow lake.

We did manage to use up our 'old' worms leftover from our last fishing excursion. Nanc caught a nice size sunfish, and I caught a nice yellow perch. We had brought along a 5 gallon pail and put some water in it, and had Nancy's fish in there, and then went to put my perch in there, and the sunfish had flipped out of the pail and back into the water, so we let the perch go too. I did catch a largemouth bass (I love how they put up a fight!) but it was not quite legal size, so I caught it and released it. The majority of the fish we caught were little dinky baby panfish. So our average fish was - hold onto your hat, here... only about 2 or 3 inches long. Yep...ridiculously teeny!

But...the main thing is we had fun! It was great to be out in the water, in the sunshine, and fresh air, with a great friend. I didn't have to catch any fish to be happy about being out there.
(having God's gift of a wonderful friend, and the beautiful nature that He created was more than enough!)

Thank you to anyone that has been praying for Mom. She went home yesterday. The Drs. decided it was NOT a heart attack. They did say she has an 'ileus' - which is a pocket in the intestine, that can 'back up' and become blocked. It was very painful from what Mom said. She is feeling a little better, but still very tired and weak.

I finished one of the baby sweaters I have been working on (except for sewing the sleeve seams) and started another one. The first one was fun to make...and yep...it was the pattern with the SSK that I didn't enjoy...but I am getting used to it and actually LIKE doing it now! LOL!

I thought the first sweater turned out so cute (I used the light yellow Bernat satin WW), that I started a second one. I am using Vanna's Choice Baby in a pretty aqua color, and using white for the main part of the body. It never hurts to have extras around for a special baby gift. Actually, the yellow sweater IS for a gift...and the aqua and white one is for my future grandbaby that is due to arrive in Jan 2009. I will post pictures here when I am done with the second one.

Speaking of the future 'baby grand', I bought some sweet printed flannel the other day at JoAnn's to make some receiving blankies out of for the baby. I will be crocheting an edging around the blankies too. And I will also post pics of those when I get them done.

I finished the third book in the Hidden Faces series that I am reading by Brandilyn Collins. I could NOT put that book down! I think it might have been the best one I have read so far...and I was sooo wrong about the ending. It took a total twist and turn near the end of the book...the kind that leaves you sitting there saying..."THAT'S who it was???" I had it guessed all wrong! Good job, Brandilyn! The book was a christian mystery and again...kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. And I love how Brandilyn gets the spiritual points across. In this one, called Dead of Night, it was a lot about spiritual warfare, and again, the power of prayer. And how sometimes, we may not even know how to pray or what to say, but the Holy Spirit intercedes for us, and leads us to pray.
(Romans 8:26: In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.)
I just started the 4th book in the series. AND, I won a book from Brandilyn's newsletter called Sneak Pique!!! So by the time I finish Web of Lies - my book that I won (Violet Dawn) should be here. Too Cool!!!

Have a great Wednesday, friends!

1 comment:

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Lissa, how great to hear you're one of my Sneak Pique winners. Good for you!

You know I still receive emails about Dead of Night. Just got one about two weeks ago. Such a sweet email from an older reader who had to tell me how reading Dead of Night has helped her prayer life. God is good. And unpredictable, isn't He? To think He'd so use a book about a crazed serial killer...

Blessings and joy, Lissa.

~ Brandilyn