Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chocolate Chip Friendship Bread - Yum!

I made Chocolate Chip Friendship bread for our youngest DD last week, because she asked me to...I have not made it for quite a while, and she was hungry for some. Someone asked me if I would share the recipe, so here it is:
(I don't remember who I got the original recipe from. I have had it for a long time.)


Amish Friendship Bread


(Do NOT refrigerate or use a metal bowl or metal spoon)

***

Day 1: Receive starter – do nothing

Day 2: Stir with wooden spoon (do not use metal)

Day 3: -same-

Day 4: -same-

Day 5: Transfer to large covered container. Add 1 C milk & stir. Gradually add 1 C flour & stir.

Gradually add 1 C sugar & stir.

Day 6: Stir with wooden spoon

Day 7: -same-

Day 8: -same-

Day 9: -same-

Day 10: Add 1 C milk & stir. Gradually add 1 C flour & stir. Add 1 C sugar & stir. Take two - 1 Cup

starters out. Keep one, and give one away to a friend.

To the rest, add:

1 C. oil

1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

Stir. Gradually add 2 C. flour & stir. Add 1 C. sugar & 1 tsp. cinnamon and stir. Add 1 ½ tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda, 1 small box vanilla or French vanilla instant pudding. Stir only until blended.

Add 1 C. chocolate chips and 1 C. chopped nuts (optional) (At this point, ovoid over stirring. It will make your bread ‘tough’. (ask me how I know this :o)))

Pour immediately into 2 well greased loaf pans. Bake immediately at 350ยบ for 57 to 70 minutes on upper shelf in oven. When toothpick comes out clean, it is done.

Cool 6 minutes in, and then remove from pan. Cool on rack.

Serve with or without butter or margarine.

You can also substitute butterscotch chips or toffee crunch chips.

*** If you want to make your own starter, combine 1 cup milk with 1 cup flour, and 1 cup sugar. Then follow directions beginning with instructions for Day 1 of recipe.


ENJOY!!!


No comments: