Sunday, November 16, 2008

Knitting Backwards

I've been knitting an ascot scarf for a gift, and it is straight garter stitch with a few YO's on the ends for a little lacy looking edge. Easy pattern, really... but the attention deficit disorder kicked in (I have to do 16 inches of garter stitch...not much challenge in that)... and I started to wonder if I could knit backwards, so it would be more interesting, because I was getting bored... and so I wouldn't have to keep turning my work because they are short rows. It can be done, I've found out...and I thought it was fun. You need to watch your tension though, as I found out it is pretty easy to knit too tightly when knitting backwards (for me, anyways).

I am not the only one that has thought of this ... there is a really nice tutorial posted on Knitty dot com that explains it quite well! After looking at the tutorial, I think what I am doing is 'purling back, backwards'. Or more simply put... "left handed knitting"
.

Oh well, either way, it makes it a little more interesting for me...and Momma always said I do everything backwards.

No comments: