Friday, February 13, 2009

Nursing covers

My DIL had put a nursing cover on her baby registry before her shower back in December. I looked at them, and they were $30! And nothing to them... I went to the internet, and did a search to see if I could find pictures of them, to see how they were made, and I found a website with basic instructions for making your own. (I so love the internet!)

I went shopping at JoAnn's...got some fabric, the corset boning, and some D-rings....then procrastinated about making them for two months!!!!

Now that my baby grand-daughter has arrived, and her Momma is nursing her, I decided to get to work on the nursing covers. I made two for her, and I am pleased with how they turned out! I think I will make some more, and the only changes I would make, would be to make the straps wider, and perhaps put the little pocket on the inside of the cover, for a burp cloth.

You can see the boning holding the neckline open between the straps. That (for those of us that didn't know...and I was one of the ones that didn't) is so that Momma can see her baby, and baby can see her, when baby is nursing.
I made them out of cotton print fabrics, and lined the pink print one with a soft pink flannel, and the beige print one with a fine wale corduroy - all of which were on sale. And got the corset boning for the neckline at JoAnn's also.
I think the lined ones will be good until the weather gets warmer. If DIL likes them, I will make some unlined ones for her for the summer months.

I am anxious to see what she thinks of them!!!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

My friend uses one of these - it looks really handy! She uses hers all the time.