Monday, February 16, 2009

Plaster, cement, and pry-bars...oh, my!!!!

I am possibly the sorest, and the tired-est I have ever been for a long, long, time! Maybe even in my whole life!!!!!

We are re-doing what was a bedroom in our very old house, and turning it into an office -slash- craft -slash- computer room that hubby and I are going to share. This room was like the UGLIEST room in the world... it was 10 x 12 ft with a closet on one wall, and a 10 foot high ceiling. It had really, really UGLY panels on the wall...circa 1960 something, that had been painted over with yellow, and ugly, ugly, ugly ceiling tiles. We want to have it drywalled. One guy looked at it, and said he would just drywall over all that 'stuff'. I am probably paranoid, but I kept thinking about how quickly that all would go if there were a fire or something. (I worry about stupid stuff like that sometimes....)
Another guy looked at it, and said that he thought it would be better to take out the panels, etc. and start 'fresh'.

So DH and I sat in the 'ugly room' and tried to figure out what the best way to go about making it nicer, would be.

We decided to,
a. rip off the ugly circa 1960 something panels
b. rip off the equally ugly ceiling tiles
c. tear out the closet (which made the room bigger, of course.)
d. replace the ratty carpet in there
e. after doing all the 'demolition' ourselves, letting someone 'professional' do the drywall.
Our sweet son-in-law pulled off all of the wall panels for us, and then hubby and I started tearing into the room last night. Hubby
tore out the closet, and started to rip out the ceiling tiles. I started chiseling away at the plaster that was on two walls behind the panels. Hubby found out that underneath the ceiling tiles was even more plaster (and lathing). We finished tearing off all the plaster, and found out that what must have been a part of the original exterior of the house (brick) was behind a part of one plastered wall, but the bricks didn't have plaster. It was cement.
UGH!
Anyhow to shorten this...we have it all 'stripped' down to the lathing strips, which we will rip off Thursday. Then DH will do some re-wiring in there, and we'll have the drywall done.
I can't wait till we are through with this! This is the first time I have done anything like this...and I hope it will be the last!
I found out I have horrible aim with a hammer... and I have the bruised knuckles to prove it.
And also during all this, when dear hubby was taking out the closet, a couple of old nails attacked his left hand (I think that they were avenging the death of the ugly closet)...so this morning we went to the Dr. so he could get a tetanus booster shot.
So now...at 1:45 a.m. - we are going to take our tired, and really sore bodies and go to sleep!!! I don't think either one of us will have any trouble sleeping tonight!


1 comment:

Stacia said...

You poor thing! That is a lot of hard and dirty work. I hope that sleep did not evade you...! Did you take a 'before' picture so you can compare it to the 'after'?

I always enjoy looking at our "old" kitchen before we re-did it...